Here is an interesting Blog post again from Tenfold.
I likes this post not because its specific to Sales People, but because its is good advice overall.
The 7 things Smart People Don’t Say are
- “It Wasn’t Me” – Don’t pass the blame, or point out other peoples mistakes. Provide a solution to the problem.
- “I Hate This Job” – This is something I need to take heed. You may think it, but don’t say it. Brush your resume off and look for something new. BTW, my linked in profile is here 😉
- “He/She Shouldn’t Have Done It Like That” – Analyzing someone else’s performance isn’t bad, but if you have nothing constructive to add, then it takes away morale. In these situations, its better to say nothing at all.
- “I’ll Try” – As Yoda says, “Do or do not, there is no Try”. Just give it your best effort.
- “This question is probably dumb, but…” – The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked. Also, don’t discourage people from asking questions by saying it is a stupid question. Better they ask and get straight then hold their mouth and be ignorant.
- “But that is how we’ve always done it!” – This is one of the most destructive phrases for innovation. It kills ideas. All this phrase does is promote stagnation and mediocrity.
- “Life Isn’t Fair” – No kidding. Get over it, under it, around it or straight through it. Try to overcome the problems and challenges.
Again, good advice from our friends at Tenfold.